W

calc

Version: 2.4.1
If you build a better calculator...

Wcalc is a very capable calculator. It supports abitrary precision, has standard functions (sin, asin, and sinh for example, in either radians or degrees), many pre-defined constants (pi, e, c, etc.), support for using variables, "active" variables, a command history, hex/octal/binary input and output, unit conversions, embedded comments, and an expandable expression entry field. It evaluates expressions using the standard order of operations.

Wcalc uses intuitive expressions and implicit multiplication. For example, Wcalc will evaluate: 5sin 4!-7*2(4%6)^2 to be -221.96631678. Wcalc will also understand basic UTF-8 entities, and so will evaluate √7×2÷πε0×σ+α+γ+R∞×Mτ-Φ0 to be 2.26885

Wcalc also comes in a command-line version that works on most (if not all) forms of Unix (including Linux and BSD). To support arbitrary precision, Wcalc relies on the GMP and MPFR libraries. In the MacOSX release, these are compiled-in, so you shouldn't have to install them yourself. NOTE: GMP prior to 4.2 comes with a broken version of MPFR. You have to install a real (aka. recent) version of MPFR for Wcalc to work.

Status

2.4.1 is released!

This release is, primarily a bugfix release. I've been slowly accumulating bugfixes, both major and minor, over the last couple years. I've held off releasing a new version because I didn't have the time to rework the GUI and make it compatible with the latest and greatest version of the Mac GUI. Finally, I've given up: the Mac GUI is officially unsupported now. I wish it wasn't, but I don't have the time, and the CLI seems to be what most people use anyway. So here it is, the long-awaited 2.4.1!

Wcalc is now available only in source form. Again, this is to help speed releases.

As per usual: enjoy! Let me know if you find anything unpleasant.


I fixed the compiling problem with the MacOS binary CLI, and re-uploaded. If your command-line version of wcalc 2.4 does not correctly treat your history, then all you need to do to fix it is re-download the DMG file from Sourceforge and re-install it. Sorry for the inconvenience!


I fixed the (recurrent) library problem with the MacOS binary version, and re-uploaded. If your command-line version of wcalc 2.4 prints out an error that looks like:

dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/kyle/Wcalc_Development/universal-libs/lib/libhistory.5.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/bin/wcalc
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
Then all you need to do to fix it is re-download the DMG file from Sourceforge and re-install it. Sorry for the inconvenience!


2.4 is released!

This release is, primarily a bugfix release, but also now has a big-enough improvement in the processing of international input that I figured it was worth the bigger version bump.

You'll also notice that we have a new icon! Huzzah to Susan Wheeler for designing it!

The bug fixes are mostly minor things that have been raised with me via email or on the mailing list.

You may have noticed that Wcalc is now available only in source or Universal-Binary form. Apple seems to have changed the way that they handle Internationalization settings in 10.4 and on, and unless there's a really good reason to add some sort of OS detection logic, I'm going to have to cut off support for 10.3.9.

As per usual: enjoy! Let me know if you find anything unpleasant.


I decided to reject my previous attempt at an icon, not only because it wasn't very imaginative, but because, well, the legal dubiousness of where I got the calculator image weren't something I wanted to mess around with. Instead, I have a completely re-invented icon. It's not "lickable", nor "realistic", but it is good-looking, readable, and can work as a logo as well.

Here it is (click on it for the high-res version):

calculator icon

This will be the icon of the next official release of Wcalc. As far as when that will be, I can't make any promises. I've got a few good bugfixes and such that need to come out (they're in the CVS repository, if you can't wait), but I'm still trying to find time to revamp the way the GUI interacts with Apple's internationalization settings. Apparently the way I've been doing it was deprecated at some point, and no longer works quite right.

Status update archive.

If you find bugs, PLEASE let me know!

SourceForge Logo

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict Valid CSS!